Postdoctoral Research Associate
The UM’s National Center for Computational Hydroscience and Engineering (NCCHE) is seeking a full-time Postdoctoral Associate with experience in Computational Hydroscience, Environmental Engineering, Applied Earth Science, and/or Remote Sensing and Geospatial Technology. This is a 1-year appointment and involves working with faculty members and research scientists on research projects related to applying remote sensing and GIS and related spatial techniques to environmental modeling and assessment for water, coastal, ecological, agricultural, natural disasters and public health applications; Impacts of land cover land use and climate changes on water quantity and quality, ecological and public health and aquatic ecosystems sustainability; Developing decision support tools for different water, coastal, ecological, agricultural, natural disasters and public health applications to improve decision-making and environmental sustainability.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities:Essential Duties/Responsibilities:
- Environmental data analysis, particularly in the use of satellite remote sensing data and climate and weather data assimilation for these purposes.
- Empirical and/or numerical modeling for physical environmental applications such as watershed, hydrodynamic and atmospheric applications.
- Scientific programming, statistical programming (such as R, Python, SAS), spatial analysis methods (i.e. Geographic Information Systems (GIS)) and satellite remote sensing.
Required Qualifications:Required Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Atmospheric Science, Earth Science, or a closely related discipline. The PhD degree should be already received or about to be received at the end of the current semester.
- Experience in empirical and/or numerical modeling for environmental applications
- Experience in remote sensing and GIS environmental applications.
- Experience in writing peer-reviewed scientific publications.
- Experience in scientific programming.
- Experience in writing scientific grant proposals is preferred.
- Experience in web development is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills (both technical and non-technical).
- Strong geospatial analysis skills are required, including advanced abilities in use of Geographic Information Systems.
- Strong scientific programming skills (e.g., FORTRAN, Python, R).
Click here to apply